Sunday, April 17, 2011

Received April 16, 2011

This is the cutest little guy ever!  I received it as a private swap from Germany.  Just last week I heard a special on NPR (National Public Radio) on hamsters!  It was so interesting and entertaining.  I love NPR.  They talked about how the first scientist heard of these little cuties but they hadn't been domesticated yet, being nocturnal and rarely seen.  If you want to read it and/or listen to it go HERE!
Copied this from Wikipedia...
Although the Golden Hamster (Mesocricetus auratus) was first described scientifically in 1839, it was not until 1930 that researchers were able to successfully breed and domesticate hamsters. Pet Golden Hamsters are descended from hamsters first found and captured in Syria by zoologist Israel Aharoni.
NPR said it was so difficult to breed them because they are notorious cannibals!  They love to eat their young!  Also, they are loners and like to kill any potential companions.  How gruesome!  Finally they got a pair of brother and sister together who got along and didn't murder their babies.  They are the "Adam and Eve" of hamsters. 
I'm so sorry if you didn't want to know all that, but I thought I'd share.  Makes you look at that cute little booger a little differently now, eh?  :o) 



No ID number?  Oh my!  I will have to consult the Powers That Be at Postcrossing to see who wrote and sent this fabulous card!  Kinmen is on a small island off the main island of Taiwan and most of the architecture there is this wonderful traditional form.  Lovely. 


I want lobster and crab cakes so bad now!!  Thanks a lot Evangeline from Maine!  Great card.



Tootles,
~Ang~

No comments:

Post a Comment